Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Baby Pictures

Joseph William Curtis
9:48 pm
6 lbs 1 oz
Head Down

John Henry Curtis
9:50 pm
5 lbs 5 oz

We delivered in the OR in case of emergency c-section since baby B was breech.

Joseph on the left, John on the right

Me with Joseph

Jay with John

Jay with Joseph

Rachel holding John

Me holding Joseph, Jay with John

John on the left, Joseph on the right

Once they gave me the epidural and started pitocin, everything went really fast.

At 7:30 I was dilated to 4

At 9:00 I felt some movement, so nurse checked and I was at 6

At 9:25 I felt more movement, but was going to wait to call the nurse. Jay pushed the button anyway, and when she checked me she said my bag of water was bulging, I was 9.5, and it was time to go to the OR NOW!

We rushed over to the OR and babies were born at 9:48 and 9:50!

Monday, August 29, 2011

The Last Few Days

My mom, my brother Jason, Suzee and I went to Olive Garden today per my request. One of my last non-stress tests I had to do.

Off to the hospital tomorrow!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Baby Update

-I am still in Mesa and still pregnant. 34 1/2 weeks along.
-I had a growth ultrasound this past Monday which showed babies to be approximately 4 lbs 12 oz and 4 lbs 13 oz.
-Baby B has also flipped again, so he is breech. A hasn't moved and is still head down.
- The ultrasound tech and doctors are SURE that these babies are mono-di, meaning they are identical with one placenta but two separate amniotic sacs. The only indication they gave me of why they think this is the case is because the membrane between them is very thin. Not sure what else they can go by.
-After the ultrasound I met with the doctor. I told him that since I left the hospital over 2 weeks ago, I have not been taking the meds they gave me to stop contractions- reason being that I didn't think they doing anything. Obviously they weren't, so why take extra medication?
-The day I left the hospital (Aug. 2) they did the fetal fibronectin test which came back positive. That's supposed to mean you have a 90% chance of delivering within 2 weeks. I guess I'm in the 10% who doesn't go into labor in that time frame.
-The doctor asked me if we had discussed dates. I didn't dare get my hopes up. I thought he must be talking about for my next appointment. He said no, for delivery. I said I would like to deliver around 36 weeks because I didn't know if I could go much longer than that, and know the babies will be fine. He said since the babies are mono-di (a higher risk of twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome), they prefer to deliver by 36 weeks. I think relief is the word that would describe me best at that point since I knew that if it doesn't happen by then, at least there's an end in sight. We discussed dates around my 36 week mark, and I told him that if I got to choose, I would prefer an even date. So, considering it's difficult to schedule on a weekend, we're looking at either August 26 or 30- a Friday or Tuesday.
-The possibility of a c-section is still there, but a few of the doctors in the practice said they have no problem delivering a second twin breech. Also, hopefully we have enough time for Baby B to flip over again, and we won't have to make that decision.
-I am still not convinced about the whole identical twins thing. Fraternal twins are more common by far, so what are the odds of having 2 sets of identical twins? I've researched and can't find an answer for that one. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
-Since this is the most baby I've ever carried (already over 9 1/2 lbs) plus the extra fluid, my body is taking a beating. I'm thrilled we've gotten this far, but will be glad when I'm back to "normal".

Trouble Maker

Suzee goes from hugging my belly and saying "my babies, my babies" over and over again

to tearing apart my makeup bag

and my diaper bag. By the way, she calls these things jump ropes. Apparently they look like handles???

Before James Left

Sorry- all the pictures were taken with my phone so they're not great quality.

Jay came this last weekend, and took James back with him when he left. Here's a couple pictures from when he was still here.

I only buy baby carrots, so James and Suzee thought these were huge.

When Suzee drinks a sippy cup, she always plays with her ears. This time James was close enough that she played with his instead.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Heads Down

I had a quick ultrasound today to check heart rates and fluid levels. I asked the tech if baby B was still breech and she looked at me funny and said "No. Both heads are right here." After 4 weeks, he finally decided to flip back over!

Monday, August 8, 2011

A Few Random Pictures

Karen trimmed Suzee's hair today.

Blackberry vines growing from outside, through the walls right by the kitchen sink (at my parents house).

Suzee playing peek-a-boo with her favorite purple purse.

Me at my home away from home.

Me just before I left the hospital last Tuesday.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011


After 5 days in the hospital I hadn't dilated any more, so they let me leave.
I am at my parents house most likely until real labor happens.
They did a fetal fibronectin test this morning that came back positive, which (depending who you talk to) means I have a high risk of delivery within the next two weeks.
Just glad to be free again. Not attached to tubes and monitors.