Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Bat Race

We've had scorpions, spiders, mice, squirrels, snakes and bees. But a bat???? The kids were in their room watching a movie with lights out and I was on the phone with my sister Shauna trying to figure out how she hit a parked car, when I heard commotion. Kids screaming. A bird! A bat! I think it's a bird! Lights were turned on. All the kids ran to my room. I got off the phone and stepped into the hallway just in time to duck under the nasty thing. And so began our bat race, which lasted somewhere around 20 minutes. It was thrilling and exhausting. Bob (aka my hero) caught it once, but let go when it tried to bite him. I don't blame him. It flew, we ducked, kids screamed. It made it through every room in the upstairs. Who knew bats liked to play hide and seek so much? I think it brushed against everyone at some point. Abbey lost it when the bat touched her. The bat flew, we chased (me holding the camera and a box to trap it). Bob finally cornered it in the kids room, and I found him a snow glove to put on to avoid the bite. The bat screached, Bob grabbed it, and threw it into the tupperware.
My hero.


I didn't want to touch that thing, but I didn't want to go to sleep with it still in the house. What excitement. How did it get inside in the first place?Abbey not so happy the bat touched her.

Bat on the bathroom floor.

9 comments:

Douglas Family said...

Is it dead? You need to make friends with a good pest control company - and use them! Yuck, I don't care for rodents (bats are included for me), or bugs at all!

Kim and Adam said...

I don't know how you put up with all of that. I would be moved out, especially after a bat, yuck! Bless your heart for putting up with all of those rodents and other creatures. It gives me the chills just thinking about it. I am glad Bob was there to save the day. Yay Bob!!

Torgersons said...

YUCK. Bob is so brave.

Jarom said...

I miss Safford.

Shauna said...

Bob even looks so proud of himself. He might have a future in bat catching. I feel for Abbey, I would've been freaking too.

Jenn said...

oh wow, never a dull moment for you guys...good job bob!! I would have been like abbey...I can't handle that stuff! props to you guys!

Sherri said...

Is this the same bat that you mother had pictures of Cole with it on his shoulder!!?

brentanderrin said...

are you so so so excited for your pool? that will be so fun!

BJAT said...

that is gross!! I also hope my boys will do that for me.